Determinants of postpartum contraception use among teenage mothers in eastern Uganda :

Show simple item record Muyama, Doreen L . Musaba, Milton W Opito, Ronald Soita, David J Wandabwa, Julius N Amongin, Dinah 2021-05-04T11:09:16Z 2021-05-04T11:09:16Z 2020
dc.identifier.citation Muyama, Doreen. (2020). Determinants of postpartum contraception use among teenage mothers in eastern Uganda: a cross-sectional study. Open Access Journal of Contraception 2020:11 187–195 en_US
dc.description Article en_US
dc.description.abstract Introduction: In Uganda, the proportion of women having another live birth before age 20 years (repeat adolescent birth) has not declined in 30 years. More women want to delay the next birth. We determined the prevalence and factors associated with postpartum contraceptive use among teenage mothers in Mbale City. Patients and Methods: We conducted a cross-sectional study in all the six government- supported health facilities within Mbale City. Over a period of 3 months, 511 teenage mothers in the postpartum period were consecutively enrolled by midwives/nurses. Data were collected using a pretested interviewer-administered questionnaire. We used logistic regression in STATA version 14, to determine the association between various sociodemographic characteristics and utilization of contraception. We set the level of significance at 5% and report odds ratios and the corresponding 95% confidence intervals. Results: Most of the respondents – 314/511 [61.5%, 95% CI= 57.1–65.6%] – were using contraceptives. More than three-fourth (238/314) of the respondents opted for short-term methods of contraception. In the adjusted analyses, intention to resume school [AOR 1.79 (1.16–2.74)], and utilization of maternal Child Health services such as postnatal care services [AOR 0.40 (0.25–0.63)] were significantly associated with utilization of postpartum contraception. Conclusion: We found a high prevalence of postpartum contraceptives use – over 6 in 10 women – although they were using mainly short-term methods. Those with intentions of resuming schooling and utilized postnatal care services were most likely to use contraceptives. This is encouraging and calls for inquiry into why their use is higher than the national averages. Further, the results call for renewed efforts to maintain adolescent mothers in school. Keywords: contraceptive use, postpartum, teenage mother, Uganda, determinants en_US
dc.description.sponsorship Busitema University en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher Busitema University ; Dove press. en_US
dc.subject Contraceptive use en_US
dc.subject Postpartum en_US
dc.subject Teenage mothers en_US
dc.subject Uganda en_US
dc.subject Determinants en_US
dc.title Determinants of postpartum contraception use among teenage mothers in eastern Uganda : en_US
dc.title.alternative a cross-sectional study en_US
dc.type Article en_US

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record



My Account